Canadian Hurricanes

By Rockin’ Reese


The Carolina Hurricanes had a long week in Canada. They spent many nights in the western part of the country, where they went on a 4-game losing streak. However, the trek ended in the eastern part of the country, where they were victorious in the capital of the Great White North.

The Canadian road trip started on December 4th against the Winnipeg Jets. The Jets scored first, as (left winger) Kyle Connor scored a goal with 3:02 remaining in the first period. In the second period, the Jets improved their lead, as (left winger) Nikolaj Ehlers scored a goal with 8:21 remaining in the period. The Hurricanes responded, as (center) Martin Nečas scored with 51 seconds remaining in the period. However, that would be all the scoring at Canada Life Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba, as the Jets held on for a 2-1 victory.

The next game the Hurricanes played was against the Edmonton Oilers on December 6th. The Oilers had the crowd at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta pumped, as they scored 4 goals in the first period. Just 28 seconds into the game, (center) Ryan McLeod scored. Then, 13 seconds later, (defenseman) Mattias Ekholm scored. Over 5 minutes later, (left winger) Zach Hyman scored.


With less than 6 minutes remaining in the period, Hyman scored, again. In the second period, the Oilers kept the momentum going, as (left winger) Warren Foegele scored a goal. In the third period, the Hurricanes finally scored, as (center/captain) Jordan Staal scored. However, Hyman completed a hat trick to give the Oilers a 6-1 win.

The next night, the Hurricanes stayed in Alberta, as they played the Calgary Flames. The Hurricanes actually controlled the first period, as (right winger) Stefan Noesen scored just 2:10 into the game. Over 6 1/2 minutes later, (left winger) Michael Bunting scored a goal. After a scoreless second period, the Flames brought the Scotiabank Saddledome crowd to life in the third period. At the 5:42 mark, (defenseman/alternate captian) Rasmus Andersson scored a goal.

The game was tied 1:21 later, thanks to (center) Connor Zary. Over 4 1/2 minutes later, (center) Blake Coleman scored a short-handed goal. The Hurricanes thought (center/alternate captain) Sebastian Aho tied the game with less than 5 minutes remaining in regulation, but the Flames challenged it. After review, the goal was disallowed, due to goalie interference. The Flames held on for a 3-2 victory.

The next game was Saturday night at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia. The Vancouver Canucks got it going early in the first period, as (center) Sam Lafferty scored over 6 minutes into the game. The momentum continued into the second period, as (right winger) Ilya Mikheyev scored a goal. However, just 29 seconds later, the Hurricanes scored a goal, thanks to (left winger/alternate captain) Jordan Martinook.


Over 6 minutes later, the Canucks regained their 2-goal advantage, thanks to (center/right winger/alternate captain) JT Miller. The resilient Hurricanes had (defenseman) Brady Skjei score a power play goal. The Hurricanes tied the game in the third period, thanks to a Noesen goal. However, 1:19 later, the Canucks regained the lead, thanks to (center/alternate captain) Elias Pettersson. The Canucks held on for a 4-3 win.

Finally, the trip ended on Tuesday in Ottawa, Ontario at Canadian Tire Center. The Ottawa Senators were able to score the 1st goal of the game, thanks to (center) Josh Norris. Later in the first period, Nečas tied the game for the Hurricanes. In the second period, it was all Hurricanes, as they scored 3 goals in a 5:01 span.

First, Aho scored a power play goal at 12:18. Just over a minute later, (center) Seth Jarvis scored a goal. Then, 3:40 later, Aho scored his 2nd goal of the game, during 4-on-4 play. That was all the Hurricanes needed, as they defeated the Senators, 4-1.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *