By AJ Johnson
LaJohntay Wester – Florida Atlantic Owls – Wide Receiver – 1
For those people out there, that might not know the name LaJohntay Wester, where the hell have you been?? LaJohntay Wester leads all of college football with 87 receptions. LaJohntay is the number 4 NCAA receiver with 1,004 receiving yards. LaJohntay Wester has two speeds, stop and go. LaJohntay Wester is a force on the football field that can’t be stopped.
Wester is a star receiver at Florida Atlantic University, and he’s been shattering school records lately, consistently putting up dominant numbers and hauling in an obscene number of receptions against all competition.
Florida Atlantic clearly liked what they saw in Wester out of high school and brought him in as a blueshirt freshman.
Now in his junior season, he’s playing fantastic football. Over the course of the season, he’s hauled in 87 receptions for 1,004 yards and eight touchdowns. He’s averaging 11.5 yards per reception and has done all of this in just nine games. Six of those nine games have seen him eclipse the 100-reciving yard mark and the 10-plus reception mark.
His standout performance came this past weekend when he totaled 11 catches for 219 yards and three touchdowns. In all but two games this year, Wester has found a way to compile at LEAST 98 receiving yards. It’s just been virtually impossible for opposing teams to slow this LaJohntay down.
If you were to talk to LaJohntay about what he’s been doing on the field, then you would have known that this was his plan since he walked on campus. When asked about being a record-breaking player, he said, “I told my dad when I first got here when people look back 10, 20 years from now, they will remember LaJohntay Wester because either I break records, and my performance and character will be something to remember.
So far this season, he’s broken the record for the all-time leading receiver at FAU after hauling in what was his 163rdcatch. He’s continuing to shatter this record every week when he takes the field. Wester also recently became the school’s all-time single season reception leader with his 77th catch, a record that now currently stands at 87 (until Saturday when he continues to add to his resume.)
LaJohntay Wester Top 10 Season Highlights – So Far
- Named First Team wide receiver and third team punt return All-AAC by Phil Steele’s Magazine also earned third team punt returner and fourth team honors by Athlon Magazine
- Opened the season, versus Monmouth, with a team high nine receptions, totaling 55 yards and a score, added a 21-yard carry and provided returns of both punts, one for 26 yards, and kicks, two both for 15 yards and a 30-yard game total, for 132 all-purpose yards
- Targeted 16 time, collecting 12 for a total of 101 yards, his fifth career game with 100+ yards and he added a 29 yard punt return that set the Owls up for a potential tying score versus Ohio
- On the Owls’ sixth play versus Clemson, collected a five-yards pass to become FAU’s all-time receptions leader and then went on to be tally 12 receptions, recording his first double-digit back-to-back receptions night. Ended the game with a game-high 12 receptions for 108 yards and added a three-yard carry
- Collected 13 of the 16 times he was targeted for his third-consecutive game with over 100 yards. Versus Illinois the tallied 137 yards and scored once and was credited with two punt returns for a total of 32 yards for a team leading169 all-purpose yards
- Continued to find ways to get open with nine receptions for a total of 98 yards and added four rushing yards on two carries while adding another 36 yards via two punt returns in the Owls 20-17 win over Tulsa
- Recorded his fourth double-digit 2023 reception in the Owls’ win at USF and provided 123 receiving yards. His night included two touchdowns, a three-yard reception and a 67-yard punt return, the program’s first since 2014
- Collected four passes for a total of 14 yards and was credited with one punt return versus UTSA
- Once again showcased his talent with a double-digit reception night (10) and 149 receiving yards, while adding two punt returns for a total of 36 yards. He found the end zone twice, had four 20+ yard offensive plays and a 27-yard punt return stopped by Charlotte’s punter
- Had a huge day setting game, single season and career records at UAB with 11 catches for 219 yards and three scores while adding a three-yard rushing TD and two punt returns totaling 43 yards
Watching Wester play week after week is seeing greatness in its early stages. He knows that he is getting the ball, the opposition knows that he is getting ball, everyone in the stadium and watching on TV knows he’s getting ball – and nobody can stop it from happening.
Now you know the name LaJohntay Wester, if you didn’t already. I have the feeling that you will see Wester on your NFL package for years to come.
If you haven’t yet seen LaJohntay do his thing live. The FAU Owls take on the ECU Pirates on Saturday afternoon at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Fl at 4:00pm. Its also Military Appreciation Day. If you’re local, get out here and see Wester and this up and coming Owls team in action. If you are not local to Boca Raton, catch the game on ESPN+
LaJohntay Wester Full Profile via FAU/Sports/Football/Roster